- We exist to provide you, our reader, with recommendations for the best gear for your hunts and the best hunts for your gear. We also provide you “how to” advice from a network of seasoned hunters – gear, guides, wildlife biologists and other advice you can trust!
- We want to save you time in the process of finding and selecting the right gear for your hunts without breaking the bank.
- We are not persuaded by price or marketing…we are persuaded by quality and value.
- We are biased, but not by brands…we are biased by quality, comfort, fit, durability and overall value.
- We like to view our recommended gear and outfitters as “top shelf.” Just like other Top Shelf items, gear only reaches the status of “Eagle Cap Approved” after enough peopled have tried the gear and determined that it deserves that position. Pursuing a quality hunt, or going after a trophy rack or a record setter, requires quality, trusted, safe gear.
At Eagle Cap Outdoors, we stake our reputation on your success and safety in the field.
Meet the team:
Ted Karr Co-Founder
Idea Generator, Legal Controls, Writer/Reviewer, avid outdoors-man. Ted grew up in the town of Sweet Home, OR at the gateway to the high cascades. When Ted was 11 he saved enough money to buy a go-kart. After looking at used go-karts with his dad, Ted’s dad invited him to instead spend his money on a backpack, inflatable raft, and trout pole so he could join his dad in the outdoors. That was the beginning of Ted’s adventures backpacking into many lakes in the High Cascades, pursuing monster rainbow trout. It was around that time Ted also took to hunting. Today he hunts all big game, enjoys fishing remote lakes, and he is now on a quest to hunt bears, cougars and wolves. However, his passion is elk hunting. The one thing Ted knows for sure is that he feels more alive either on the top of a mountain as the sun rises, or next to a campfire under the stars.
Chris Woodburn: Co-Founder
Idea Generator, Technology Leader, Product Reviewer and avid outdoors-man. Chris was born in Texas learning to bow and rifle hunt by the leadership of his Dad who was an avid hunter. Mostly hunting whitetail deer, squirrels, rabbits, quail and dove. Chris dreamed of being able to fly fish the flowing rivers of the northwest and hunt big game high in the mountains with his stick and string. Once Chris moved to the northwest and finished college he has spent countless hours getting familiar with hunting elk, fishing the Northwest rivers and learning what’s needed to be not only successful, but making every moment in the back country count.
John Bowers: Wildlife Biologist
Austin Miller: Field Tests
I was raised in Western Oregon. Sticking to my roots, I now call McMinnville, OR home. I’ve been hunting for 7 years and Spring bear season is arguably my favorite. Not only do I get into the woods early in the year to hunt, but it also helps me prepare for archery elk season by keeping tabs on the herds – observing patterns, where elk go when they get pressure as well as bedding areas. Well versed on day hunts to extended 10 day back pack trips. Hunting the Pacific Northwest is something that draws me in, with the vast mountain ranges and abundance of wild life. I enjoy and thrive on hunting public land because it is open to everyone. One of the many things that draws me in, is that everyone is given the same opportunity, it’s all about how you choose to apply yourself. The mountains don’t care your age, wealth, or your status.
Brian Krist: Field Tests
Brett Bertrand: Software Development Engineer
After hunting big and small game with a bow and a rifle, hunting in dry conditions and in snow and rain, and hunting near the trail and in the back country, by foot and by horse, our team went through a lot of gear before we found the best options.
- We are not biased towards products, other than their quality
- We use the gear that we recommend, and aren’t paid to use the gear.
- We are here to help the reader attain their goals
- We research and provide the information needed, so the reader can make a solid decision as efficiently as possible